Malaysian cuisine is a delicious mix of Indian, Chinese, and Malay flavors. One popular dessert that you’ll find in Malaysian restaurants is Kueh Salat. This unusual dish is made with pandan leaves, coconut milk, rice flour, sugar, and salt. If you’re curious about how to make this unique dessert, keep reading! We’ll show you how to make Kueh Salat step-by-step.
What is Kueh Salat?
Kueh Salat is a traditional Malaysian dessert that is made from glutinous rice, coconut milk, and palm sugar. It is usually steamed in banana leaves and served with a variety of toppings such as shredded coconut, chopped peanuts, or sesame seeds.
Despite its name, Kueh Salat does not contain any salad ingredients! The name actually comes from the Malay words for “rice” (kueh) and “sauce” (salat), referring to the sweet sauce that is used to top the dish.
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious dessert to impress your guests, give Kueh Salat a try! This recipe will show you how to make this Malaysian treat at home.
– Glutinous rice, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
– Coconut milk
– Palm sugar or brown sugar
– Banana leaves, cut into small squares
– Shredded coconut, chopped peanuts, and/or sesame seeds (for topping)
- Drain the glutinous rice and rinse it several times to remove any excess starch. Place the rice in a large bowl.
- Pour coconut milk and palm sugar (or brown sugar) into the bowl with the rice. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Line a steamer basket with banana leaves, then scoop the mixture into the basket.
- Steam over boiling water for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from steamer and let cool slightly before serving.
Top with shredded coconut, chopped peanuts, and/or sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Why do people love Kueh Salat?
Kueh Salat is a traditional Malay kueh or snack which is very popular in Singapore and Malaysia. It is made of glutinous rice, coconut milk, palm sugar, and pandan leaves. The glutinous rice is usually dyed with green food coloring to give it its characteristic color. Kueh Salat is usually served as an afternoon snack or dessert.
There are many reasons why people love Kueh Salat. First, it is one of the most unique and flavorful kuehs out there. The combination of sweet and savory flavors from coconut milk, palm sugar, and pandan leaves makes for a very addictive taste. Second, Kueh Salat has a chewy texture that is very satisfying to eat. Third, it is a very pretty kueh that looks great on Instagram!
In the end
So there you have it, everything you need to know about Kueh Salat! This dish is definitely a must-try for any Southeast Asian cuisine lover. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also relatively easy to make. So what are you waiting for? Give this dish a try the next time you’re looking for something new and exciting to cook up!